1/8/2012 8:52 PM
By Phil Rabin
Google, Facebook, YouTube and Yahoo!, respectively, ended 2011 as the top-four websites both in the United States and globally, according to data presented by BurrellesLuce in its latest edition of “Top Media Outlets: Newspapers, Blogs, Consumer Magazines, Websites & Social Networks.”
The BurrellesLuce website rankings are based on data reported by Alexa for the month ending Dec. 22, 2011, in the case of the U.S.; and for the three-month period ending Dec. 22, in connection with global standings, as indicated by Alexa Global Reach scores. On Dec. 22, the Global Reach figures for the four leading sites were as follows: Google, 49.79; Facebook, 43.48; YouTube, 33.87, and Yahoo!, 22.54. Other websites finishing in the U.S. top-10 that also attained double-digit Global Reach scores were Wikipedia, 13.79 (ranked #7 in U.S. and #6 globally), Blog Spot, 12.39 (ranked #9 in U.S. and #7 globally) and Windows Live, 11.05 (ranked #10 in U.S. and #8 globally).
Website standings are one of two lists making their debut in the 2012 edition of the BurrellesLuce rankings; the other new list features the top-50 U.S. daily newspapers online. Since introducing “Top Media Outlets” in 2004, BurrellesLuce has continually expanded the scope of the popular, practical reference to reflect the growing influence of digital media.
The 2012 edition also includes rankings for these media categories (data sources in parentheses):
- Top-100 U.S. daily newspapers (Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC), FAS-FAX report, six-month period ending Sept. 30, 2011)
- Top-25 English-language blogs (Technorati Authority, period from June 8 to Dec. 20, 2011)
- Top-25 U.S. consumer magazines (ABC, six-month period ending June 30, 2011)
- Top-10 social networks (Hitwise, period from June 11 to Dec. 17, 2011)
- Top-25 PR and marketing blogs (Technorati Authority, period from June 8 to Dec. 20, 2011)
- Top-25 entertainment blogs (Technorati Authority, period from June 8 to Dec. 20, 2011)
“Top Media Outlets” is available, free of charge at www.BurrellesLuce.com/topmedia2012 or call 866-626-8004.